Sunday, June 15, 2008

Steve's Ordination

The elders and their wives laying hands on us and praying for us. A very powerful moment.
Pastor Buddy giving Steve the charge of eldership. Yes I know this is extremely blurry. We will forgive you dad for taking this blurry shot! You can't even see poor Pastor Buddy's face.



Not only do we celebrate Steve today for being a great father to his kids- we also celebrated his calling to be an elder of our church. He was ordained today which made Fathers Day extra special. We both feel humbled by the leadership role and consider it both a joy and a heavy burden. We are amazed that we have only been at Adventure for one year and within that year so much has happened: we adopted Greyson, we made amazing friends and got deeper into the Bible and we began to feel God calling us deeper. Steve accepted the charge to take over missions at our church and will be returning to Africa in the fall- this time to Kenya.




I had been feeling like God was calling me to something more also. It was an ever present tugging at me but I couldn't place it. I kept praying just wondering what God wanted me to do as I kept trying to be obedient being the best mom and wife I could be (often failing). Then through much prompting by the Holy Spirit I knew it was time for me to be bold. Through a ministry that already existed in Lexington, I found out about Bruised Reed, a ministry that serves women in the exotic dancing industry. I kept thinking about these women and thinking about these women and God would not let me go. So here I am starting the same ministry here in Louisville and wondering how exactly I got here! I knew my heart was with orphans in Africa but God also had something else in mind for me. I find that it often works that way!


So here Steve and I are on the day of his ordination knowing it was no accident that we ended up at a church called "Adventure" over a year ago. We often wonder what God will call us to do and feel scared but excited at the same time to see what it will be. I always pray for a spirit of boldness and that God will place people in our lives daily that we can love and show Jesus to in very practical ways.

If you read this blog and have a story I would love to hear it! I love to know how God is using other people- So don't just lurk-share your stuff!!!

1 comment:

Lela Kay said...

It is a blessing and a burden (in a wonderful way) to be given a huge responsibility to share Christ in all that we say and do. As Joshua was ordained as a pastor last summer, I just remember the life I spent as a pastor's daughter and the awesome sovereignty of God to call me to be a wife to a pastor, as well as a mom that could share such intimate details of my life growing up in that fishbowl with my 2 girls!

I will pray that as you seek God's face and praise Him in both the wonderful times as well as the storms, He will be glorified because of your willingness to serve Him with all you are.

Joshua and I are actually digging into the Bibles a bit more committed lately and are supporting one another as we read through the entire Bible in 90 days. Quite an undertaking for a guy who carries lots of class hours and is called to spend numerous hours on preparing sermons for this and that, but we have been blessed and challenged as we follow through with what we feel God is wanting, even in that! You and Steve hang in there and be each other's biggest fans as you strive to do God's awesome will!