Sunday, September 30, 2007

Zoo Fun




I think as a mom with young kids you always try to wake up with a fresh perspective on the day. You wake up and think that today my kids will have fun going to the zoo- They won't misbehave and embarrass me and we all will make memories that will last a lifetime.
That is just what I thought last Friday as we met up with Amanda (my cousins wife) and her two cuties, Jill and Caroline. I was really excited to hang out with them and thought Amanda and I could catch up and the kids would have a blast together and maybe get some education from the experience and on top of it all I could get some exercise.
Well the day did make lasting memories but I have to say it was very trying for me and Amanda. Poor Amanda was frazzled because Jill was sick and fussy and Caroline wanted to walk most of the way and go at her own pace (or run away). I was frazzled because Lilly was acting at the peak of her terrible twos fussing and screaming about everything she did not get to do her own way. On top of that she OBSESSED over a hair barrette that she threw away and then expected me to dig down through the half eaten pizza and hot dogs with bees covering it all in the trash and get it out for her. She COULD NOT let the subject go. Greyson was an angel through all of this.
So needless to say both of us moms were worn out mentally by the end of it all and our kids were overtired. By golly we gave it the old college try and maybe we got out two full thoughts in conversation the whole day.
Life is never dull right????

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh, Heather, that can be so tough. Even with bigger kids, you have so many expectations for how things will go and when it doesn't work out, it can be so exhausting and disappointing. Thankfully, you have plenty more days to have that perfect zoo day!

tara said...

LOL That is so funny. (although, I'm sure it defanitly was not at the time) It's funny to me because we went throught the same thing at the Zoo the other day! (well, with the one yr old that I watch durring the dayand our friends) I won't go into the details but it was not the easy breezy morning that us ladies had imagined! We were laughing in the end though, because we felt like, come on kids, you're ruining our fun plans! :) The day ended up being rediculously hot and humid and we were all angry sweaty messes by the time we left. Aaah, good times!

Nicole said...

I think every mom can relate to this one!

For whatever reason, when I think about my trips to the zoo with the kids, the only memories I can conjure up are hectic, stressful crazy ones. Yet, I continue to have these delirious and ideal notions that it is a fun, carefree outing and I continue to torture myself going there on a regular basis. Us moms are a glutton for punishment when it comes to daytrips and activities that should make our kids happy:)I almost always am the one who falls asleep first and has a meltdown on days like these...

love ya and miss you and for what it's worth, I would be willing to have a stressful day at the zoo if it meant hanging out with you.